Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tigers....


Visiting a 6-month old tiger.

There is a pretty tourist-y thing you can do outside of Chiang Mai, Thailand, which is visit and pet tigers. Supposedly, these animals are being "saved" by your going and paying a bunch of money to pet them. It pays for their food, housing, medicine, whatever.

I'm not so convinced, after having visited there, that it's that great for the animals. I didn't like the way the handlers treated the tigers, very commanding and wanting them to do what they wanted, leaving little choice for the tigers to live how they wanted. But at least they did not use electric shocks to "train" the tigers, as some trainers do.

I really wanted to go, because how often does one get to pet a tiger? I struggled with the morals of what they do there vs. the desire to pet and be with them. In the end, we decided to go.

But, after having been there, I would not recommend it, as luring as it is.

Having expressed my dismay at the tiger situation, I'm posting some photos we took while there. I have mixed feelings about the entire trip. I am grateful to have been around these graceful and beautiful creatures, to have touched them and shared some time together. And I am saddened that I contributed to the continuation of their way of living.

With a one-month old baby.


Noah petting 1 month old tiger.




Noah with a 6-month toddler.



I still have questions:

Is it "fair" or "right" to have the exhibition of tigers for people to interact with? Is it "fair/right" for the tigers to be subjected to this type of life? Do the tigers have some unconscious agreement to have this type of life? Does anything need to be "done" about the "Tiger Kingdom" tourist place?

I keep coming back to what Byron Katie (and others) have said: Everything is perfect exactly as it is. Even if I am not always happy with the way it is.

1 comment:

  1. I could not have resisted cuddling a real tigger! love from gudrun

    ReplyDelete